Saturday, December 13, 2014

Clutch attends A Christmas Carol


Ciar O’Mahony
 
I took Clutch to the theatre with me to see A Christmas Carol and could not have asked for a more excitable reception.  A Christmas Carol, being a very family oriented play, had attracted an audience of all ages and small children were everywhere.  All I had to do was show a couple of children what was inside the little wooden box and dozens of children were flocking over through the narrow aisle of seats attempting to see and touch what was inside.  My lengthy explanations of Terra/Form and the concept of Clutch Gallery were condensed into more digestible ideas for those under age eight.  "Clutch was a gallery" I said, "All of the things inside were works of art by different artists..." I had never considered what Clutch would be like in the eyes of children, but they are as valuable as any other audience.  The intrigue and enthusiasm were palpable from some but disappointment could also be felt from others, hoping for something slightly more Christmas-oriented.  Small hands grabbed at work and I became more of a care-taker of Clutch than anything.  I spoke with a couple of other people as well, the person sitting next to me, and other play-goers casually.  Clutch became a miniature theatre in the rows of another as well as a garden and a gallery.  It felt strange to be a small part of a large audience who had come prepared to witness a spectacle while also carrying a spectacle of my own.  A Christmas Carol is a play that has been performed in Chicago for over 50 years now and is an established part of the city's theatrical history, Clutch is a project that is now establishing itself as a tiny pillar in the Chicago arts community and maybe they will intersect again at a future time.

No comments:

Post a Comment